FIRST ENCOUNTER | CREEPJAM FIRST ENCOUNTER | CREEPJAM

*Incoherent screaming*

This is SO good. I am a fan of horror/scary movies and this had me like "eeee-oh shit!" the whole time. It made me want to laugh but, at the same time I was gripping my blanket so tight. As "TheFabs" said, I also thought it might be more of a silly thing but, was very pleased that it wasn't.

I love that you aren't sure if this creepy being is friendly or has dark intentions. His face, of course, a misleading factor.

The reaction of the main character when he met the being was perfect and very relatable. It's hard to know what to do when someone seems to be acting friendly but, looks evil. The speechlessness was a believable touch.

Excellent work!
--------
Side note...
Seeing a part two or more adventures of this being would definitely have my attention!

JComX responds:

Ah man, thanks for your kind words. :) and I'm really glad you liked it. I didnt even consider that people were going to expect a joke at the end. Haha but I kind of like that because as you said it can add more to the whole idea that you don't know what the intentions of the thing are. I'm definitely planning on doing more horror shorts in the future. ^_^

Snidget ACEO Snidget ACEO

First off, this is super adorable! Your drawing could easily fit into a book! Also, in my opinion, I think your blooming adds to the playfulness and makes it more fun.

Water color is definitely a challenge. Something you might try is putting a VERY light coat of water on the area you are going to color first.

For example, say you go to color the little guy's collar:

Step One: Take a clean brush and put a light, quick coat of water on the area. It will dry quickly if you didn't put enough, and in that case just re-apply.
Step Two: Take an equal dip, maybe a slight bit more, of your color.
Step Three: When applying, make sure to start in the middlemost area you plan to color. That way if it starts to "bloom" you can catch it quick with a paper towel. Paper towels are your friend!

I hope that helps!

HandDrawnViolist responds:

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'd love to do a chilfpdren's book someday, so I'm glad my art comes across that way! Your tip about the paper towels has been immensely helpful, thank you! I've also switched from pans to tune painting, and for whatever reason the switch in workflow has helped significantly.

Firekeeper Firekeeper

I LOVE this piece! My favorite part is how accurately you have her footing/toes placed. My only suggestion is the upper torso/bust area needs some lighting adjustments. Based on looking where the rest of the light is hitting, it needs to be brighter in that area. If you need me to elaborate further, just let me know :D

Overall you have done an excellent job!